Old, ugly concrete slabs no longer have to be part of an older home’s design. Today, the Atlanta homeowner can choose acid stained, stamped patterns, polishes, epoxy or concrete overlays to create a custom surface. Each of these is a wonderful alternative to drab concrete floors and stairs.
An overlay is installed by applying a coat of high polymer modified concrete over the existing slab, then taping a pattern with grout tape, then pouring a second layer. When the grout tape is removed from the nearly dry floor, grout line impressions are left behind. Color can be added to the lines, giving an elaborate two-dimensional effect that looks like stone flooring. For a smooth texture, the overlay can applied without the grout tape. Because less concrete is used in the application process, overlays cost less than other floor designs.
Types of Overlays
One of the great things about overlays is their versatility. Atlanta concrete contractors can take an unsightly slab of concrete, be it an outside patio or the flooring beneath carpet and turn it into artwork. Some options in overlays include the following:
- Splatter texture overlays which offer texture and slip resistance. They are generally 1/16 to 1/8 of an inch thick and are available in an array of colors and designs. Common patterns used in splatter texture concrete overlays are brick, stone, slate and tile. This surface works well for pool decks, locker rooms and outdoor showering areas.
- Interior overlays are perfect for resurfacing a floor once covered with carpet. They can be combined with an acid stain for a polished finish.
- MICRO-FINISH ® Seamless floors are less than 1/16 of an inch thick and are as smooth as a pane of glass. The type of design, pattern and color choices is limited only by one’s imagination.
- Self -leveling overlays are perfect for uneven floors. This type of concrete overlay cures quickly, so it can be walked on in as few as two hours.
- Concrete resurfacing is great indoors – especially in basements- as well as outside. It is a great choice for cracked and pitted surfaces that need a new look.
Benefits of Concrete Overlays
A concrete overlay is a perfect flooring solution for even the toughest of high traffic areas. With unlimited choices in colors, patterns, designs and textures combined with its aesthetic appeal, durability, sustainability and cost effectiveness, it has been a favorite for more than 30 years. It has distinct advantages over other flooring choices. Some of these advantages include:
- Unlike wood or VCT, concrete overlays are scratch resistant, nor are they damaged by water or food spills.
- Unless choosing the lowest quality floor surface available, concrete overlays are more economical. Of course, if the lowest grade floor covering is chosen, it will be necessary to upgrade sooner rather than later, so any initial savings will have to be reinvested later.
- Concrete overlays are quicker to install than tile, can support the weight of heavy equipment without cracking, and faux grout lines will not discolor or stain.
For additional information about concrete overlays, contact the professionals at Atlanta Concrete Masters USA today: