Epoxy coatings are the perfect choice for high traffic areas. They can last for 20+ years with proper maintenance, thus making them a wise choice for the owner. Though somewhat new to the restaurant industry, epoxy coatings have been used on the concrete flooring in commercial garages and other areas with heavy traffic for many years. An epoxy coating is available in many colors, as well as textures, so it is perfect for any space. Epoxy coatings have been used in high-end resorts around the globe, but are also practical for homes and offices.
Epoxy coatings seal a concrete slab under a layer of liquid plastic. It can be used in both indoor and outdoor spaces, so there is no end to the application possibilities. An epoxy coating results in a smooth, glossy finish resistant to scuffing, scratches and most chemicals. There are three types of epoxy coatings: terrazzo, garage floor epoxy coatings, and metallic epoxy coatings.
This epoxy coating can be used to create a mosaic-like topping, which can be pigmented or enhanced with mix-ins such as chips of marble, recycled glass and other synthetic materials. Terrazzo is perfect for enhancing an elegant space, but is also used in industrial and institutional locations.
Garage Floor Coatings
Epoxy for a garage is designed to be more chemical and scratch resistant. Garage floor epoxy coatings come in numerous colors and can be customized with accent items such as quartz or multicolored chips.
This is a relative newcomer the epoxy family. It is used to give the appearance of copper, silver, aged bronze, nickel or other metals by using either real metallic powders or reflective pigments. Metallic epoxy coatings are frequently used in retail locations, offices and restaurants where a modern décor is to be used.
Advantages of Epoxy Coatings
There are many reasons to use epoxy coatings in Atlanta commercial or residential locations.
- An epoxy coating protects the concrete from grease, food or any other item that might stain an unsealed surface. This makes maintaining that custom look easy. Even better, maintenance is typically as simple as using a floor sweeping compound to restore the floor’s finish.
- In choosing a textured epoxy, the floor has more traction. This makes an epoxy coating for a poolside patio especially nice, as there is less likelihood of slipping.
- The epoxy finishes are shock resistant. Whether the goal is to protect a floor from heavy equipment or the wear and tear of driving/parking a vehicle, epoxy can withstand it.
- Epoxy can stand up to 200-degree temperatures, thus acting like a barrier should there be a fire.
- Not only is it fire resistant, but epoxy can also resist liquids, be it water or most chemical spills. Because it can protect the floor from a chemical spill, many laboratories opt for epoxy concrete floor coatings. However, it should be noted that epoxy is not impervious to acid spills. Consequently, if the epoxy is to be used in a garage where battery acid may leak on to the floor, it is recommended that one lay a plate beneath that particular item before placing it on the floor.
- An epoxy finish can be used on an existing concrete slab or a new one. However, when added to an existing slab the prep time will be longer because first all residue must be completely removed so that the epoxy will seal properly. Once any debris has been removed, an epoxy concrete coating is applied in a single layer that will level out naturally, and dry within twelve to twenty-four hours – depending on the square footage of the floor.
- Using a lighter color epoxy coating will brighten up a space, thus reducing lighting costs.
- Epoxy is budget friendly.
- The colors, patterns and final look are only limited by the imagination. This is especially true for terrazzo, as it can be used to create borders, logos, geometric designs, and much more.
When determining what type of epoxy coating will be best for a particular space, talk to an Atlanta concrete contractor at Concrete Masters USA. With years of experience and expertise, it is certain they can provide all the answers needed and assist in making the best decision.
For additional information about our epoxy coatings,contact the professionals at Atlanta Concrete Masters USA today: